Your purchase is a long-term decorating investment. This guide includes important information about product care so that you can enjoy your floor for years to come. Proper care and cleaning can make a big difference in retaining the appearance and performance of your floor over time.
Hardwood, Laminate, and Cork Maintenance
1. Vacuum or sweep floor regularly to remove grit.
2. Remove spills promptly by using a recommended spray-on mop cleaner. Never use large amounts of liquid or water to clean wood floors, and never use a saturated mop.
3. Use area rugs with non-abrasive or felt backing on high-traffic areas.
4. Install wood guards or felt pads on “feet” of furniture.
5. When moving heavy furniture or appliances, always pick up the item rather than sliding it
across the floor.
6. Keep pets’ claws trimmed to avoid excess scratches or gouges.
7. Use sheer drapes, curtains or blinds to limit direct sunlight on your floor. Sunlight will cause naturally light colors to darken, and dark colors to lighten due to the UV rays. Stained colors will also be affected by the sunlight. Move rugs and furniture from time to time to ensure that the color of the floor remains even as it gradually ages.
8. Maintain indoor humidity levels between 35% and 55% year-round, regardless of outside conditions. And a temperature of approximately 20° Celsius in your home in order to preserve the internal humidity of the wood and thus its dimensional stability. If necessary, use appropriate appliances like air exchangers, heating systems, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, etc. to control these environmental conditions.
9. Never use wax, household detergent, or oil-based soap on the floor. These products may discolor and damage the finish and leave a greasy film, making the floor slippery and difficult to maintain afterwards. The greasy film may also make it impossible to apply a restorer coat. Mixtures of water and vinegar are not recommended for cleaning prefinished flooring, since vinegar has an oxidizing effect on the finish.
Carpet and Area Rug Maintenance
1. Vacuum high traffic areas daily, and everywhere.
2. Clean spots and spills quickly with products that do not damage the carpet or cause it to re-soil quicker.
3. Professionally deep clean your carpets every 12 to 18 months to remove embedded dirt and grime.
4. Stop dirt at the door by using mats outside and in, taking your shoes off when you enter the house and changing your air filters to reduce airborne dust particles.